Saturday, October 3, 2009

Just the man we've been looking for?

Many people in West Belfast may find it hard to understand how one of their own could take up with the party of Margaret Thatcher, but Peter, who says he vividly remembers the Hunger Strikes of 1981, is unapologetic about his political convictions.

*Sigh*...that "one of their own" phrase is just soooo Andytown News. Nevertheless that "one of their own", in this case Peter McCann, would be just the kind of well-qualified and intelligent candidate I guess Cameron and the Conservatives would be looking to attract to the project; the reaction of the UUP in South Belfast, however, will be interesting, to say the least.
"I lived in West Belfast during the Hunger Strike," he said. "I watched Bobby Sands’ funeral pass my house with 100,000 people behind it.

"I think that we can live in the past and go no further, or we can live in the present and progress to the future.

"I am a Conservative and I want to end tribal and sectarian politics, where people are judged on what party they belong to.

"I think a lot of people have conservative values, and that includes the people of West Belfast. If people just thought beyond the party and focused on the candidate it would be much better."
Indeed.

No comments: