Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Why sometimes I'm an anti-Unionist Unionist

A new Unionist blog carrying the rather foreboding title of The Dark Eleventh Hour has hit the cyber-newsstands.

The author, Union First, is, however, not happy with what he’s reading elsewhere:
What will hopefully be a welcome change from the usual inter-unionist point scoring and bitching which is carried on other Unionist aligned blogs

I guess he might have Unionist Lite, amongst one or two others(!), in mind there and...kind of... guilty as charged.

Reading back through my archives, the Scottish Conservatives and the DUP have got as least as much criticism on here, as their nationalist rivals.
That is deliberate. I’m firmly of the belief that Unionists of all descriptions are capable of (and are actually presently) causing at least as much damage to the Union as those whose ultimate declared aim is the destruction of our nation. The failure of many Unionists in Northern Ireland to realise that we cannot preserve our link with the rest of the UK by concentrating solely on the cultural argument and the parochial niceties disturbs me and I believe it does need highlighting.

Similarly, the Scottish Conservatives (and to a lesser extent, also their Welsh brethren) have forgotten why the UK in its present precarious state, ie The Devolution Experiment. Instead of looking at ways to limit the damage it's inflicting, they are actively working to ensure a nationalist minority administration stays in power and are even considering the granting of more powers away from the UK's real parliament, Westminster. Again, I think, a fact worthy of comment and one, to a large extent, being ignored elsewhere.

On the other hand, criticising Sinn Fein or the SNP for fighting for the destruction of the UK (as opposed to their hypocrisy, daft ideas and outbreaks of anti-British bigotry) is like criticising a dog for peeing against the nearest lamppost- it’s simply the nature of the beast. Still, doesn’t stop me I know, but they are not the major threat to our nation at present; our friends and allies are.

Having said that, I do try to keep the bitchin’ to a minimum, but certain people just make that an impossible task sometimes!!! Regarding the inter-unionist point-scoring, I’m non-aligned to any party, my sole concern is the preservation of Union; I look upon the various parties as simply vechicles aiding the achievement of that target and any party, Unionist or not, deserves criticism if by their actions or policies they damage or weaken our nation.

Anyway, that's only my opinion,diversity of thought and the plurality of ideas within any political movement is, despite what the DU..no, I won’t say it on this occasion(!), is necessary for its future growth and prosperity and so, in that spirit, I’d like to warmly welcome Union First to the fold.

3 comments:

Owen Polley said...

I'd be more than a little dubious about a site which, as a precedent for weak government being successfully overturned (which he wants replicated in Northern Ireland), cites Germany in 1933. :-O

Anonymous said...

Chekov,

I read that bit late last night and just thought my mind was playing tricks!

Variety is the spice of life so fair play.

O'Neill said...

I interpretd it a bit differently ie look what happens if there's a weak government...but yes, it's a bit loose!