Thursday, January 27, 2011

"We're increasing our vote, time to split"

More separatist pressure from within the Conservative Party, although this time not from within its Scottish branch:
A prominent Welsh Conservative has called for his party to formally break away from the party in England.

Harri Lloyd Davies, chairman of Swansea West Conservatives, said the move would strengthen the Tories' credentials with Welsh voters.

"I hope, as I say, that there will be a different party in Wales."

He added: "I think it's an image problem at the moment. I think a lot of people out there would agree with a lot of what the Conservatives in Wales are saying, but because of the name, to be honest, the fact is that we are still seen as the 'boys from London'."
His evidence being what?

The increased vote the Welsh Conservatives received in the last General Election?
And as far as I am aware, there is no "party in England" to breakaway from; there is however, a UK Conservative Party, is it the UK designation that he has problems with?

1 comment:

Dilettante said...

Look's like I need to write a follow up to my earlier letter.