Monday, August 11, 2008

Not quite the inside track..

The Newsletter now has its own political blog and three posts in, Stephen Dempster is already making an apology for spreading dodgy information:
Thanks to the local Conservatives for getting in touch to let me know that I was wrong and not "safe" at all to presume that Lord Trimble is on the UUP-Tory joint working group on merger talks. He's not.

Oops.
Meanwhile, I am also informed that constant media speculation that the UUP, or at least an Ulsterman, will get a place in any future David Cameron government, if a merger or partnership takes off, is premature.

It is claimed that nothing of that nature has been agreed.

That’s not really much of a revelation considering the first possible Cameron government is two years away and we’re only on pre-merger, pre-partnership talks stage.

Anyway, things can only get better for poor Stephen after that kind of start...

6 comments:

Owen Polley said...

Pretty poor layout as well. Wouldn't compel me to visit.

O'Neill said...

Always be wary of a media blog with a self-congratulatory title like "Inside Track". I see also in common with every DUP site/blog...no comments welcome!!

Pierre Brasfort said...

The Newsletter site is now allowing comments, as for DUP sites, I'm not surprised.

O'Neill said...

Yes you're quite right pb, I'm wrong again!!

Anonymous said...

Whats wrong with the layout Chekov its very usable and fresh have you seen your own blog and after all its just been set up I am sure over time it will get a lot of traffic

O'Neill said...

Whats wrong with the layout Chekov its very usable and fresh have you seen your own blog and after all its just been set up I am sure over time it will get a lot of traffic

I make it a policy that i don't criticise other amateur's blog formats (as opposed to what they actually write) because I know exactly what kind of hard work is involved.

But journalists who've decided it's about time they jumped on the bandwagon...different story.

I've just tried accessing it and gave up after 5 minutes waiting. But that's not the point.
Chekov like myself are amateurs with diddly-squat resources financial or timewise to employ on our sites. That's not the case with professional journalists, it;s their job to disseminate and interpret information, rumour and scandal. They have the kind of access to the folks that matter that Chekov and I can only dream about.

If a journalist is serious about blogging, then they generally produce a very good result because of this-Fraser at Coffee House and Brogan at daily mail are two examples of this.

Dempster, despite the advantage mentioned, just doesn't appear serious about it or indeed get the point of blogging.

But yeah, it's early days and over time if he decides he wants to take it more seriously, I'm sure he'll get both the traffic and more positive feedback.