Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Robinson gives himself the all-clear

Finally, a bit of good news for the Dupes:
PETER ROBINSON IS BACK!

The DUP Leader Peter Robinson has taken the necessary steps by informing the Speaker that he has resumed exercising the functions of the First Minister after being in receipt of the legal opinion sought by the Departmental Solicitors Office from Senior Crown Counsel.

The First Minister said;

I welcome the QC’s detailed advice which follows a thorough and comprehensive examination of all of the issues raised in the Spotlight programme that on the material provided his considered view was that there were no breaches whatsoever by me of the Ministerial Code, the Ministerial Code of Conduct, the Pledge of Office and the seven principles of public life.

His advice supports my consistent contention that I have acted at all times properly and in full compliance with my public duties.

I am therefore glad that at this critical time I can resume fully the functions of my office with confidence. I will now move forward to the next stages of this process which I believe will also vindicate me."
The more cautious would have probably waited until those "next stages" had been sorted out before rushing back...the minor matters of the police enquiry, investigations by Parliamentary, Assembly and Electoral Commission authorities etc etc. And you would have expect with this announcement we would also simultaneously have been permitted to see the QC's legal opinion (and the original questions put to him) to be published in full. Obviously Robbo has decided at this particular time his country Executive party needs him, so full steam ahead then and we'll sort the paperwork out later.

No comments: