Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Quote of the day

On this day, 21st of October 1805, Lord Horatio Nelson was fatally wounded during the Battle of Trafalgar; this was his diary entry on the eve of the battle:
May the Great God, whom I worship, grant to my Country and for the benefit of Europe in general a great and glorious victory; and may no misconduct in anyone tarnish it; and may humanity after Victory be the predominant feature of the British fleet. For myself, individually, I commit my life to Him who made me, and may His blessing light upon my endeavours for serving my Country faithfully. To Him I resign myself and the just cause which is entrusted to me to defend. Amen. Amen. Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the name ae the wee man....................gie's peace.

Anonymous said...

Interestingly, there was a letter in the Herald today from Nationalist letter writer Alex Orr praising Nelson and more particularly the Scots who fought with him at Trafalger.

As the anecdote goes:

A Scottish sailor saw Nelson's "England expects etc" signal groaned and then said that Nelson knew he did not need a signal to remind Scots to do their duty.